Originally, the bulk of this post was written as a comment to Brandy Desiree Collins post of 09/05/12:
If you tend to get your panties in a wad easily, please do not read this.
But I kept thinking about it and am prompted to share it with a wider audience.
First some stats:
– Roughly 75-80% of Americans identify themselves as “Christian”
– So far, the “War on Terror” has resulted in at least 227,000 deaths.
– The US is #2 in the ‘rich nations’ of the world with the highest percentage of children living below the poverty line – 21.9%.
– The US is #1 in the world for the people in prison – 2.2 million (next was China with about 1.5 million).
– The US is #1 in the world for its incarceration rate – 748 per 100,000 (next was Russia at 584 per 100,000)
– The US is #1 in the world for “defense spending” – $695 billion – about the same as the entire rest of the world together.
– One out of 45 — or about 1.6 million—American children are homeless each year.
– The US is near the top of the world for the number of overall rapes as well as the rate (#/population).
– Americans make up only 5% of the world’s population and yet consume 20% of its energy.
What’s wrong with this picture?
In short, we are among the most Christian (and supposedly free-est?) of nations… but we are also among the most violent, greedy, polluting, non-altruistic, nations on earth – and the deadliest.
Yeah… A real empire… A Christian empire – led by professed Christians – totally ‘of & conformed to this world’.
How is this possible?
“And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.” (Revelation 12:9)
The whole world is deceived…
We Christians are part of the whole world aren’t we?
Are there any other options?
Is there any other, better, way to be?
Surely a more “positive” or “Christian” option can be found…
Suppose, just suppose, 80% of the adults in this country (the Christians) decided that instead of killing people all over the world, we would declare a different ‘war’ – oh, say one on hunger… All available resources – including all military personnel, equipment, & $$$ – would be dedicated to this single, top priority task (say, on a “Manhattan Project” level). What do you think would happen?
Or maybe, if that’s too ambitious, we could just decide to feed all the children of the world?
Still too ambitious? How about we just feed all the children in this country? Top priority, no bullshit. What then?
Still not good enough?
How about we just work toward (or allow) taking God out of everything – try to remove Him from our lives entirely.
Boy, now there is a really enlightened, politically correct move.
No God, less guilt – right?
If you are a Christian, here are a couple of reminders…
“Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.” (Ephesians 5:11)
– Jesus said, “Love one another” and “turn the other cheek”.
– But He also got pretty upset at the money lenders in the temple, didn’t he?
– What’s He going to say to each of us when He returns?
– What does the Bible say about living with evil?
“You shall not have any other gods before Me.” (Exodus) 20:3
– as ‘in front of Me’ in a line – “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, says the Lord, the One who is, and who was, and who is coming, the Almighty.” (Revelation 1:8)
– as ‘place before me’ – “…and they shall not appear before Me empty. ” (Exodus 23:15)
– as in ‘preceding Me’ – “All who came before Me are thieves and plunderers, but the sheep did not hear them.” (John 10:8)
Where are you in line?
What are you placing before the Lord?
Who comes first in your life, beliefs, and activities?
…just a thought